BREASCLETE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION MINUTES

The Association hold a meeting on the first Wednesday of each month at 8pm in the Comminuty Centre.  Everyone is welcome to attend.

JULY 2011

FLAG
The Association flag was returned to Vital Signs.  The Association logo should appear on both sides of the flag. Flagpole: the Association will get back to Ivor Murray or find another supplier.

LOGO
It was decided to leave the logo until after the wedding season

FLOOR
COVERING
The floor covering for ABC room.  Received email from McGillvary’s they have the material in stock. Cathie Ann (Secretary) to reply. Once we have the funds we will contact McGillvarys. 

FINANCE
The SRDP Claim is still outstanding.  The Treasurer applied for a credit card for Association use. This is being processed.  

EVENTS COMMITTEE
It was suggested that the Committee should look at restricting the number of weddings to a maximum of four per year. 

GYM
The Gym is completed.  Members will be given a Fob. The Association is looking at training a number of members for inductions. If any members of the gym have already been inducted at the Sports Centre in Stornoway they don’t need to attend another induction. 

CORRESPONDENCE
The Licence applied for by the Association for showing DVDs is through.

A message of thanks from Dr Marshall for the gifts sent to her by the Association.

The Association received a thank you card from Calum Fraser for our donation for his exchange visit to Germany.

David and Mary Robinson sent a letter together with five copies of DVDs to Lesley of the wedding held in the hall on 27 May 2011. They said they were willing to do more weddings.

The Association has received a booklet from Scottish Fuels with their Terms and Conditions.  The Chairman will check Conditions 6, 8 and 10 of the booklet.

COSLA Dinner:  Chairman thanks everyone involved.  A special thanks to Joan Chisholm.  The evening was a huge success.  One hundred guests attended. The guests commented that it was the best buffet they had attended.  The Association received a letter from the Convener expressing his thanks to all the team.  The hall looked superb.  The delegates were impressed with the young people who helped at the Convention.   The Chairman suggested putting the letter into the Newsletter  so that the wider community should know.

The Croileagan had a meeting with Council, with a view that the Comhairle will run the Croileagan from October 2011.  Looking at arrangement with rent. Rent is about £600 at present. 

JUNE 2011

 

MAY 2011 

FLAGPOLE

Applied for grant to CNAG.  Initial application for grant got lost.  Had to re-submit application.  Hopefully we will get funding.

BOWLING CLUB KIT

Our application for funding from the 2014 Big Lottery Grant was unsuccessful. It was suggested that maybe we should re-apply for Grant!  The Bowling Club has some funds and maybe they could manage to cover the costs themselves.  If unable to cover costs the Chairman suggested informing the Association and maybe we can help.

LOGO

Lesley to speak to David Nash to see if he can print logo on bar top.

FINANCE

The Chairman is having a meeting with Royal Bank of Scotland.  The Association has been charged another fee on Loan Agreement by the Royal Bank of Scotland.  The Chairman was under the assumption that if we applied for Loan Agreement once we wouldn’t have to re-apply.  Every single application costs a fee.  The application is only valid for three months.  The Chairman proposed to sign Agreement and enclose a covering letter.  This was seconded by Dodo Maclean. The Meeting agreed to pay this sum.

Angus Alex suggested  looking at banking with the local Credit Union for savings.  The Chairman said it was a good idea once the money comes in from SRDP.

EVENTS COMMITTEE

Next wedding is on Friday 27 May. Approx 130 guests.  There are two weddings in July and one in August.  Events Committee will get more boxes for glasses.

GYM

Fee: It was suggested at the previous meeting that maybe we should look at charging fees on  individual usage of the gym. The Chairman thought it is unfair for someone to be charged on individual usage.  The meeting agreed a 50% concession for OAPs and 16-18 year olds.  It was also suggested that we should look at having family concessions or household concessions.  Northern Security will install security system.  Nessglaze will fit door and push bar next week.

CORRESPONDENCE

The MPLC have informed us that we are due to pay a fee for showing films. This is for the usage of copyright for motion pictures.   It was thought  if no one pays to see the film that we did not need a licence.   It was decided to pay the licence fee.We have received a letter from Dolina Macleod, Comhairle Nan Eilean. 

The Comhairle have a delegation from COSLA coming to the island on 23 June 2011.  The Authority is hosting a Civic Dinner for the delegates and have asked the Association if we would be interested in taking this on. There will be 150 guests at the dinner.   The Events Committee will speak to Smart Cookies to see whether this is possible.  The meeting agreed to take on the challenge if the Cookies were in agreement.

There was an event in the hall on Friday 6th May 2011 on behalf of the Leanne Fund.  Lorna MacArthur, on behalf of the Fund, asked for a donation from the Association.  The Meeting agreed to waiver the hall fee and all bar profits for that night to go to the Leanne Fund.

APRIL 2011

FLAGPOLE

Ivor Murray will fit flagpole on Monday.

CLUB ROOM

We are waiting on money from the extension scheme prior to ordering chairs and carpet for Club Room. 

BOWLING CLUB KIT

Issue ongoing.  We should receive a reply for 2014 Lottery Grant within the next three weeks.

EXTENSION PROJECT

Mr Maclean from CNES was over at the hall last week re Completion Certificate,  which we will need  before the release of funds from SRDP.

OLD CANTEEN BUILDING

This project has been shelved until the summer holidays by the Council because of the asbestos situation and changes to funding.

GYM MEMBERSHIP/FEE

It was suggested that maybe it would be preferable to have an electronic lock on the door leading up to the gym.  Various quotes were received and discussed.  It was agreed to go with  Northern Security price with the PC option at £1290 plus VAT.

Techno Gym service the equipment at Sports Centre, they can come over to Breasclete to service the gym equipment.

Membership: It was agreed that annual membership would be £20.00 and a review of individual usage be carried out.  Concession to be available for OAP’s.

Age limit to be 16.  It was also suggested that may be we should look at family membership and local B&Bs could pay membership fees so that their guests could have access to the gym.

Regarding public liability, members use the gym at their own risk.

AOCB

Keys:- Elaine to do inventory of all key holders:- New keys, required for end door and internal master.

Thank you card from Shonnie and Anne Maclean re their wedding on Friday 25 February 2011.

MARCH 2011

FLAGPOLE

Ongoing, hoping to be erected shortly.

CLUB ROOM CARPET AND CHAIRS

Not to be purchased until all claim money received.

SCHOOL GARDENS

NHS Capital Grant bid was unsuccessful.

GYM

UBC are finished except for hanging the mirrors in the gym.  Kenny John has approached Tony Wade (Lewis Sports Centre) re induction to the gym.  Payment for gym to be finalised at next meeting.  Suggestions for an Open Day were discussed – nothing decided.

FINANCE

Balance of the BCA Account is just short of £9,000. The balance is subsidised by the Community Council until the money comes through from SRDP in May.  There is a reduction in the amount of funding that is available to us. (£5000 Council Sports Grant, Council £2700 outstanding, HIE £1400 in the process of going through). We are in the fortunate position that the Community Council are helping out. As year progresses we should be in a better position financially.

RMK Insurance asking for another £590 for building contents.  Kenny John has cancelled the insurance with RMK.  We are now insured with the Council for contents. Gordy Smith from Education will write to us to confirm.  Chairman suggested that we ask the Comhairle to transfer the ground on which the Community Centre stands into BCA ownership.  To be discussed at a future meeting.

Completion Certificate: Alistair Maclean from Council to come over to give us Completion Certificate.

EVENTS COMMITTEE UPDATE

Chairman expresses his thanks to everyone who was involved in helping at the wedding in February. 

The Events Committee will have a meeting at the end of the month to discuss plans for the next wedding on Friday 8 April 2011.

It has been decided that four weddings is the quota for 2012 other than local weddings.

In last month’s Minutes the dates for events in 2012 read wedding on 29 June 2012.  It should have read 22 June 2012.regularly as a reminder to keep the skip site clean.

Events Committee said that more boxes were needed for glasses. It was agreed to purchase these. Dollag asked if we could look at getting a kitchen preparation machine as we don’t have a machine that is suitable for preparation for the size of weddings.  The machine may cost about £1000. It was decided that if the donation of £500 from Cathie Mary Maciver could be used for this item (with her permission and Dollag to enquire) that we purchase this machine. The Association to enquire regarding the Ward money.

EXTENSION PROJECT

McGillverys are to lay the floor in coming week.  

OLD CANTEEN BUILDING

The old canteen building has been gutted.  Thank you to everyone who helped  Alex Murray has possession through the Council  and they will start demolishing the building shortly. 

It was suggested that maybe it would be good idea to have an article in the Cuimnich magazine of different memories of the old canteen.

CORRESPONDENCE

The Association received a letter of thanks and appreciation from Christina Macleod and Eileen Maclennan  for the Association’s donation to assist with their visit to Pendleton, South Carolina in March 2011.

The cost of the School trip to Edinburgh in May 2011 is £4463.80.  The Association asked how much of a donation they are looking for. They are planning on more fundraising.  Angus Alex asked if 10% would be sufficient.  If they get a grant from Bord Na Gaidhlaig it will cover a lot of the costs. The Chairman advised that once the money from the SRDP comes in the Association will have a better idea of what funds are available. It was agreed that the sum of £500 be given to the school trip.

Community Skip Hire Arrangement: The sum of £550 has been reduced by the Council to £100. It was suggested that maybe it should be kept in the newsletter regularly as a reminder to keep the skip site clean.

A cheque for the sum of £500 was donated to the Reading Room by Cathie Mary Maciver.  Which is greatly appreciated. A letter of thanks to be sent to Miss Maciver on behalf of the Association.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Mrs Macdonald asked for permission to display healthy eating notices in canteen, and this was agreed.

Costs of outfits for the Bowling Club.  Prawn or Dodo to check if Lottery Grant funding is available.

Complaints regarding fish farm items taking over the pier.  Chair suggested that this is more of a Community Council matter.

Gordon Paterson was approached regarding Association logo and he suggested that we use a graphic designer.

 

FEBRUARY 2011

FLAGPOLE

Could be ready in the next two weeks for installation.  Flags have been ordered from Vitalsigns.

SCHOOL GARDENS

NHS Capital Grant bid was unsuccessful – no funds available at present.

CHAIRS IN CANTEEN

Mairi to talk to Mary Ann regarding quotes and options.

GYM

Booking and Entry Fees: Memberships cards.  It was suggested an annual fee of £5.00 for membership.  Dolina Monaghan said to look again at the annual membership fee regarding costs of maintaining gym equipment etc.

Lesley Macdonald suggested that due to health and safety issues when the gym is in use that more than one person should be in attendance.

More information is needed regarding the Booking System and the Health and Safety issues.

Donna to check how gyms in other community centres operate.  It was suggested that Kenny John would be asked to find out more information on installing a system in the gym.

EVENTS COMMITTEE

The following 2011 dates to be noted-:

25th Feb – Wedding

12th March – Have Your Say Day

8th April – Wedding

27th May – Wedding

8th July – Wedding

13th July – Hebridean Celtic Festival

22nd July – Wedding

5th August – Wedding

28th October – Halloween Party

The following dates have also been booked for 2012:-

29th June – Wedding

27th September – Wedding

7th September – Wedding

28th September – Wedding

Quiz Night: The Committee congratulated the young folk of the community for an excellent night and all their hard work preparing for the quiz. This was seconded by Dolina Monaghan.

EXTENSION PROJECT

Committee to ask Belle Ann or Mary Ann if there is any improvement on ducting in the kitchen. The deadline for final submission to SRDP is 28 February 2011.

OLD CANTEEN BUILDING

It is hoped to demolish the old canteen building before the end of March and to organise a skip when people are available.  Hopefully at the beginning of March. 

CORRESPONDENCE

Note of thanks from Christine and John MacKechnie, 9 Breasclete, to the Association and everyone involved at the Senior Citizens dinner for all their hard work to make the event such an enjoyable occasion.

Letter from Mairi Reid on behalf of the Parent Council requesting the Association to consider a donation for the schools proposed educational excursion to Edinburgh in May 2011. Contribution to be considered by Association once costing has been finalised by the Parent Council.

Letter from Christina Macleod and Eileen Maclennan, pupils in the Nicolson Institute, requesting a contribution from the Association for the school’s exchange visit to Pendleton, South Carolina in March 2011: £100 each agreed.

Letter of invitation from BBC Trust.  The Trust is reviewing BBC Radio Nan Gaidheal as part of a cycle of reviews of all BBC services.  There is a meeting at the Clan Macquarrie Centre, Borve, Isle of Lewis at 7.00 to 7.15pm on Tuesday 8th February 2011 if anyone wishes to attend.

THANK YOU CARDS

Thank you cards received from the following:-

Tigsy and Sharon  – Wedding.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS

Breasclete Bowling Club looking at purchasing 15 outfits for the team. The outfits will cost about £700.00 in total.  Dodo asked if the Association would look at contributing towards the cost of the outfits. Chris Stubbington will enquire about costs and bring back to next meeting.

 

JANUARY 2011

AUDITED ACCOUNTS

The draft accounts for the year were presented and approved. The Treasurer wished to pass on her thanks to Lesley Macdonald for her help throughout the year and also thanks to Calum Macleod, CIB Services for his work with the accounts. The Chair wished to pay particular thanks to the Treasurer for her hard work throughout this financial year.

CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

The Chairman presented his annual report.

ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS

As per Constitution rules all the current office bearers resigned and the following nominees were proposed and accepted:-

Chairman – Kenny J MacLennan

Vice Chairman – Caroline MacLennan

Secretary – Cathie Ann Smith

Bookings Clerk/Assistant Treasurer – Lesley Macdonald

Interim Treasurer – John Smith

Events Sub-Committee – Proposed and accepted membership as follows; Elizabeth Macarthur, Angus Alex Mackenzie, Angus Smith, Lesley Macdonald, Donna Morrison, Ancris Fraser, Robert Stubbington, Donna Smith, Maggie Smith, Sujatha Chisholm and Cathie Ann Smith

It was proposed that the existing Events Committee Members be re-elected having powers of co-option for other members as and when required. It was suggested that the events committee speak to the young group who were organizing the quiz night and look at the possibility of a wedding group and an events group.

It was agreed that more fundraising was needed and not to concentrate on only weddings.

The Chair wished to thank the Events Committee for their continual power of work this year.

Maintenance Group – Proposed and accepted membership as follows; Elaine Cousins; Joan Chisholm; Malcolm Mackay; Murdie Maciver; Angus Macarthur; Kenny Macdonald and Kenny MacLennan.

Renewables Committee – Angus Macarthur; Ian Maciver; Keith Murray; Angus Macleod; Kenny Maclennan and Kenny “Beag” MacLennan Kathleen MacDonald as an advisory position.

COMPANIES HOUSE – ELECTION OF DIRECTORS

The election of Directors, Companies House were proposed and accepted as existing with the addition of Mairi Reid Croileagan Bhreascleit, Mairi Maclean, Parent Council and John Smith, Treasurer, BCA and the deletion on Anne Maciver, Secretary and Christina Smith, Treasurer.

DEVELOPMENT PLAN

The Development Plan, which was created in 2008 was updated.

MATTERS ARISING

HIE Community Account Management Initiative – at the recent Urras Tac Calanais annual general meeting, John Smith confirmed that his duties were very much restricted to people resident within the Callanish area and as such, the community council were unable to benefit from this appointment. However, he would be happy to assist with forms etc. when time permits.

School Closure Proposals – Eleven schools were approved for closure by the Education committee, with the full council meeting taking place on Thursday to finalise the numbers.

CORRESPONDENCE

Western Isles Community Care Forum Carer’s newsletter, David Stewart MSP update, ASCC Annual National Ballot 2010, CNES Budget Consultation meeting, CNES Introduction of Electronic Agenda and Minutes, Disabled Persons’ Parking Places (Scotland) Act 2009 – clerk to confirm two bays in church carpark and two bays at community centre, but no need for the Comhairle to enforce these spaces as they are respected by the community as designated disabled bays.

OTHER COMPETENT BUSINESS

Breasclete Shoreline – Jinty Morrison has taken fifty photos of the different items of rubbish along the shoreline from Stonefield to the outend of the village and it was agreed that a meeting be arranged to discuss the problem with the fish and mussel farm companies.

Transport to/from surgeries – Jinty raised the problem of people getting to and from the surgeries at Leurbost and Carloway, especially for those who do not have their own transport, due to the limited bus service and the lack of shelter at both locations. Clerk to check if any voluntary transport schemes are in place at Shawbost, Bernera or Lochs, plus the Red Cross in Stornoway.

Breasclete Community Association – Kenny MacLennan handed over a cheque, with grateful thanks on behalf of the association, to the chairman in full payment of the loan recently donated to cover the shortfall of funds whilst waiting on grant funding for the new extension to the community centre.